Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Chinese School - A little Different - From Beijing Chinese School.com > Learning Chinese > Chinese Tattoos, Chinese Names and Quick Translations

A little Different
Home New Posts

Login:    Pass:   Log in or register for standard view and full access.

Nepenthe -

Backstory: I opened my kitchen cabinet today to discover that a ginger root I bought two months
ago and then forgotten had sprouted. In the dark. In a dry plastic bag. I'm now very fond of it.
I'm going to pot it. Being the kind of dork that needs to name every single living thing, I
decided that my ginger root needed a good Chinese name (Japanese is overdone). I scoured the web
and came up with Changchang -- cute, feminine, not too serious, apparently means "flourishing." I
like that! But I had no idea how to go about finding the right characters for it. This was the
first Chinese-language forum that appeared in my search, so I ask you: Changchang in Chinese
characters?

I'm also open to suggestions of better names.

Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!

About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here

lyfey -

Hi, I reckon "长长“ shall be the right character. I like it too. As u said, it does have a
meaning just right for a Sprouted Ginger root, hehe.

Nepenthe -

Thank you, Lyfey! I like the way that looks.

I forgot to ask in my original post: I'm assuming the "a" in "Chang" is not pronounced like the
"a" in "cat," since that sound doesn't exist in most languages. Can anyone give me an
approximation? A little weird, I know, but I'm really just curious now.

imron -

Here is a recording of someone saying 长 from this table of chinese pronunciation.

skylee -

I am thinking ... "长长" can be "chang chang" (long long), "zhang zhang" (grow grow), "zhang
chang" (grow long), or "chang zhang" (keep growing) ...

rootfool -

Quote:

I am thinking ... "长长" can be "chang chang" (long long), "zhang zhang" (grow grow), "zhang
chang" (grow long), or "chang zhang" (keep growing) ...

hmm.I think "zhang chang" and "chang zhang" may more proper.

here is a puzzle about this.

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:10 PM.

chinese language lessons, learn chinese language, learn to speak chinese, mandarin learn, study chinese, study chinese in china, studying chinese, china chinese in learning, chinese language class, chinese language exchange, chinese language in china, chinese language lesson, chinese language study, chinese language tutor, learn chinese beijing, learn chinese in beijing, learn chinese pinyin, learn to speak mandarin chinese, learning chinese online, learning the chinese language, mandarin learn online, study chinese china, studying chinese online

No comments: