Sunday, April 6, 2008

Learn Chinese online - Yao may get help from Hakeem Olajuwon in summer

Sports / Basketball

Yao may get help from Hakeem Olajuwon in summer

By JONATHAN FEIGEN (Houston Chronicle)
Updated: 2007-05-09 09:20

Yao & Hakeem?

Rockets center Yao Ming said he has discussed working with former Rockets
star Hakeem Olajuwon in the offseason.

"It would be a great chance for me, if I can learn from him, one of the
best centers in the NBA history, and particularly a legend for the
Rockets," Yao said. "I would love to. I'm working on it."

Yao's summer plans

Yao Ming will have what he called a "small surgery" on a toe, possibly
preventing the troublesome toenail from growing back. He said he expected
that procedure to keep him from working out for only "a couple weeks."

He said he will likely train with the Chinese national team for a short
period this summer but will have no competitions.

"I need some training," he said. "I'll take the first month off and then
get back to training and work on my skills."

Mutombo mulling return

Frustrated with a decreased role in the Rockets rotation, center Dikembe
Mutombo said he was reconsidering his plan to return for another season.

"I just spent a week with my kids, and I talked with my wife about it
again," Mutombo said. "I'm just frustrated with the fact there was a
chance to go to the second round, at least. After contributing the way I
did contribute during the course of the season, I felt I did deserve a
little time in the playoffs to play. The opportunity was not given to me.
I'm a little bit disappointed about it."

Mutombo averaged just eight minutes per game in the postseason.

"I'm a free agent now," said Mutombo, 40. "I just want to go think about
how many people I can change their lives in Africa. After that, maybe
I'll think about basketball again."

Spanoulis uncertain

Though under contract, Rockets rookie guard Vassilis Spanoulis said he
did not know whether he wanted to be back with the Rockets next season.

"Now is time to rest a little bit, to clear my mind for a big season for
me, maybe the toughest in my life, in my career," said Spanoulis.

"I want to speak with the guys and know what's going on with my future.
We'll see. I have a contract. I can't say now nothing. I have to clear my
mind, rest and get with the guys up in the office who showed me a lot of
love and support this year.

"I love this team, but I have to think what is best for my future. The
people here showed me a lot of love, a lot of support a lot of advice
this year."

Rockets assistant general manager Daryl Morey said team officials will
meet with Spanoulis today to discuss his future and said that the Rockets
would like him to play with the summer league team.

Spanoulis said he also plans to train with the Greek national team this
July.

Looking for toughness

Rockets center Yao Ming said he talked with Rockets general manager
Carroll Dawson and his successor Daryl Morey about changes he would like
to see but would not offer details about their conversations.

"Generally, CD told me from his experience, our team definitely will be
getting better and I believe it. I love to believe it," Yao said. "We
need more experience. We need player that can finish the game and can
play under the pressure, like in the playoffs."

Top Sports News 

� Sun basks in Euro success

� Federer shows his clay-court form in win over Almagro

� Blatter backs United tour rescheduling

� Maradona: 'I'm alive and I want to keep living'

� Federer beaten by Nadal

Today's Top News 

� Japan 'should respect' neighbors' sentiments

� Team to join UN forces in Darfur

� Maglev extension given 'green light'

� Iran compromises on nuclear talks

� China stocks at new high, yuan breaks key barrier

Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours

Learn Chinese, Chinese Course, Learn Mandarin online, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: